At Sprouts Art & Nature School, we aim to practice what we teach.
In helping grow the next generation of environmentalists at Sprouts, we take our responsibilities to our planet seriously.
In addition to our curriculum topics, to the best of our abilities, we:
reduce & refuse
- Reduce use of resources:
- We turn down the heat & use fans to keep cool instead of air-conditioning.
- We collect rainwater for the garden & plant native plants.
- Refuse excess:
- We purchase and use only what we need.
- We pass on extras to someone or somewhere they can be used.
re-use & re-imagine
- Re-use items:
- We take unused items and use them for another purpose – the sink from a remodeled bathroom became our mud kitchen sink and our broken deck lumber became the boardwalk.
- We always use both sides of our art paper!
- Re-imagine items:
- We also take our old items and use the materials to become something brand new! A dead tree in the yard became our play structure & mulch border.
- Old 2×4’s became our new children’s tables.
- Repair items:
- Sewing, gluing and taping are a part of our daily routine.
- We have & know how to use tools of all kinds!
- Replace items:
- Un-repairable items are replaced with items that are sustainable, easily repaired, or less wasteful whenever possible.
recycle & responsible
- Recycle & Recycled
- We choose recycled or recycle-able materials and/or packaging.
- We use many items as loose parts for play!
- Responsible Practices:
- We also choose responsible companies, responsibly sourced materials, and shop local! For example, our giant bird’s nest play structure was made by students at Champaign Central High School!
Have some items we might be able to re-imagine or use as loose parts? Ready to help grow the next generation of environmentalists? Help us out.